Sunday, March 22, 2015


I've been looking at archive material for my project that relates to Industrial Schools ran by the Catholic Church. I came across a documentary made by Louis Lentin, which consists of interviews of women who spent time in industrial schools as children. I've been harvesting material from this and editing it in Premiere Pro, with the intention of inserting archive sequences among my filmed pieces.I'm not sure how I stand ethically with doing this. Also some of the material is quite emotional and hard hitting and I don't want to be exploitative with this.I justify it to myself with the fact that Lentin's documentary originally worked as a critique, as does mine -  my re -working of the material is a further re-enactment and engagement with the critiques of the abuses perpetuated. Perhaps it is better that the archive material is being  re-presented in another form, gaining an audience again in another manner, rather than gathering dust somewhere, fading into oblivion? This is how I'm justifying to myself at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment